There are two versions available for download:
- 3.40 for Blender 2.79
- 3.42 for Blender 2.8
What is Auto-Rig Pro?
Auto-Rig Pro is an all-in-one solution to rig characters, retarget animations, and provide Fbx export for Unity and Unreal Engine. First developed for my own projects and needs, i've released it a few years ago and many new features have been added since then.
Want to try first? Download Mike, free character rig here.
Getting Started with Auto-Rig Pro:
Rig fast with the Smart feature
Position the reference bones so that they match your character proportions. To speed up this process, the smart tool will automatically try to find the body parts locations for you (bipeds only so far). Then, edit the result if needed (if your character is not a biped/ or for more accuracy), eventually place the facial bones and other extra limbs, and generate the final rig. Based on a non-destructive workflow, the armature remains easily editable anytime after the generation. Check the product documentation and the youtube channel for more informations.
Important note about skinning: If possible, use water-tight geometry for best auto-skinning results. Knowing the bases of Blender's skinning tools, weight painting, to fine tweak the bones influences is recommended. For character made of multiple separate parts, it's best to use the Voxel Skinning addon.
Due to recent API changes, Blender 2.79 is required.
Customize the rig definition in a few clicks: fingers, toes amount, spine bones, multiple neck bones, tail, breasts, ears and much more. Duplicate or remove limbs to rig spiders, centaurs... or whatever!
Video tutorial, rig a centaur with the multi-limb feature: Centaur Rig
The picker panel dynamically updates, so you can select any bone from the separate panel easily.
Intuitive tool to edit the bone shapes, with automatic mirror:
Customizable UI: fully editable layout, buttons positions, colors, background pictures...
The Remap feature allows retargetting of any armature action to another one, with different bone names and bone orientations, supporting imported .bvh/.fbx armatures for example. It's universal: works with Auto-Rig Pro, Rigify, custom rigs... Define the source armature, the target armature, and the animation will retarget according to the bones names matches and bones original orientation.
It support IK feet, hands for accurate motion tracking, and an interactive offset tool to remap to different characters proportions.
Additionally, to animate over a motion capture action on an additive layer, check the additive keyer addon (free)!
Game Engine Export
Auto-Rig Pro allows export to FBX format via a dedicated module, to proven engines such as Unity or Unreal Engine, and probably others not yet tested. Shape keys are transferred as well.
Three export types: Universal to export a simplified bones hierarchy for any creature, Humanoid for bipeds only, with options for easy retargetting and root motion, and Generic to export the deforming bones and the non-deforming ones if they are parent of the deforming bones.
- Twist bones included in option
- Unit conversion to initialize the scale transforms to 1.0 in Unity and Unreal
- Unreal Mannequin bones hierarchy and naming in option
- Full facial, and advanced bones such as tweak bones
- Actions baked on the simplified rig
- Selective action export
Bring your poses to the next level!
The additive weights controllers offer a unique control over the pose. Located all along the limbs, they've been developed using an innovative system to operate on a second layer of deformation, for fine pose sculpting, cartoon effects, bending, stretching, etc. Two deformations mode in option: Additive (exportable to FBX) and Bendy Bones.
Just use them instead of corrective shape keys, or as a complement. Below a typical leg bent before and after tweaking the secondary controllers.
Tell Me More!
Extensive list of what the addon has to offer:
- Automatic bone placement solver based on mesh recognition for bipeds characters. Asymmetrical models supported.
- Edit Reference Bones feature to modify the rig anytime you want. No need to redo everything if a bone is not where you want it to be.
- Modular: only use what you need. Fingers, toes, ears, breast, adjustable amount of spine, twist bones, tail, and neck bones. Duplicate or remove limbs to rig creatures with multiple arms and legs.
- Fingers auto-rotation option: bend when scaling the first phalange, pre-defined fist pose
- Easy controller shape edition
- Bone picker: Can be turned on/off, import/export presets. Customizable.
- Colors customization
- Cartoon compliant: Stretchy spine, legs, arms...
- IK-FK snap with autokey working, and snaps properly when unlocking all the leg/forearm rotation axis
- IK-FK controllers auto hide
- Hybrid IK pole / IK arrow vector
- Knees and elbows pinning
- Head rotation locked or free
- Bend all fingers in one click (fingers grasp), fist pre-defined pose, auto rotation of fingers phalanges from scale
- IK/FK eyes
- Auto-eyelid rotation
- Multiple Child-Of constraints support for the IK hands and feet to change their parent space any time (e.g. if the character is driving a car, hands on the wheel, then grab the car door)
- Complete set of secondary controllers for fine pose sculpt
- Advanced facial setup with automated placement
- Improved skinning based on Blender's heatmaps. Auto-splitting of multiple elements. Compliant with the Voxel Heat Diffuse Skinning addon.
- Shape keys drivers creation tool
- Game engines support, FBX: Unity - Unreal Engine. Generic, Humanoid and Universal rig type
- Bone remapper to retarget any armature action to another one, with different bone names and bone orientations. IK support. BVH, FBX files compliant, e.g. Mixamo animations.
- Compliant with X-Muscle System for realistic muscles simulation
- By buying this addon you support my work and the Blender foundation, its developers financially. A part of each sale is donated to them. It's worth a big thank you from the open source community, helping Blender remaining free and accessible for everyone! And obviously you ensure the funds for this addon next new features, bugfix. I'm making my best to constantly improve the beast, based on users requests and my own ideas. Have quick look at the release log below. You receive a notification when the addon is updated, and download it for free.
Make sure to uninstall the current addon before installing the new one and restart blender.
Rig: Multiple twist bones generation for the arms and legs. The next step is to implement a third mode for secondary controllers: "Twist", to use twist bones as secondary controllers, for 1:1 export compatibility.
Export: Support of multiple twist bones in Universal and Humanoid modes, for better compatibility with game engines without dual quaternion skinning.
Export: "Transfer Twist" has been renamed "Export Twist", behaving in the opposite way: if enabled, twist bones are exported. This is more straightforward and easier to understand.
Export: Normals can now be exported in tangent space
Export: More tabs to avoid scrolling
Export: Breast weights were not exported when Advanced was disabled and Mannequin Axes enabled
Export: Fix Bones Rotation that could lead to invert the bone roll
Smart: Force Solid view mode when entering Setup Facial, to make sure facial markers are visible
All features have been ported to Blender 2.8 API.
Blender 2.8 is a big update, full list of changes here.
New or improved:
Rig: New "Empty" armature to build a rig from scratch, instead of starting from a biped/quadruped basis. New button to add limbs. New button to adjust the selected limb parameters.
Rig: Disabling a spine bone no more disables the neck and head limbs as well
Rig: Ears bones amount can now be adjusted
Rig: Neck bones amount of duplicated necks can now be adjusted
Rig: The auto-eyelid rotations are now constrained to avoid aberrant angles
Rig: Update Armature now show an informative line to warn the user to click Match to Rig afterward
Picker: Errors are now better handled, if the target bone is not found or a bone shape is missing, the error is skipped
Fbx Export: Actions can now selectively be removed before exporting
Fbx Export: Root motion option is now available for Universal type
Fbx Export: Added Primary and Secondary bones axis selection
Fbx Export: Shape keys are now baked and exported in all cases
Fbx Export: The simplify value is now set to 0.05 by default, to avoid rotation issues of IK chains.
Fbx Export: Some single limbs could prevent export to work
Fbx Export: "Fix Fbx Bones Rotations" could lead to issues
Fbx Export: Renaming for UE and exporting the tail as humanoid could lead to wrong parenting
Fbx Export: Exporting only the armature now adds a dummy mesh for correct export
Fbx Export: Multiple ears bones are now exported as Humanoid
Fbx Export: New "Fix Bones Matrix" checkbox in rare cases of incorrect bones rotations export
Rig: The ear bones could not be disabled, breast bones did not deform by default
Rig: With scene units set to 0.01, the legs bones could be defective
Remap: Cancelling the Redefine Rest Pose could not work as expected, fixed the copy bones orientations feature
Remap: Improved Auto-Scale feature
First Auto-Rig Pro release!