Notice: Ryan will be on vacation July 6th - July 22nd 2019. I will be away from a desktop computer and will have limited internet access so I will not be able to handle support requests and respond to issues during this time. If you have any questions or issues, you may contact Dennis Fassbaender by sending a message to our Facebook Page or through email at info[at]blenderphysics.com.
Are you frustrated with the current Blender fluid simulator? Are you tired of spending countless hours baking only to find that your simulation still just doesn't look real? Do you love working in Blender but find that you have to use other software when you need a realistic fluid effect?
NOT ANYMORE! There is a solution, and it is FLIP Fluids!
FLIP Fluids is a powerful liquid simulation addon that gives you the ability to create high quality cinematic fluid effects all within Blender! Created by Ryan Guy and Dennis Fassbaender (check out our interview with the Blender Market!).
The core fluid engine, a modern FLIP-based fluid solver, has been under development for over four years with over two years of development focused on tightly integrating the simulator into Blender as an addon.
The FLIP Fluids simulator was created to improve on many aspects of Blender's internal Elbeem fluid simulation system such as speed, performance, accuracy, customizability, and user experience. We use a familiar and intuitive simulation workflow, so if you have experience with the internal fluid simulator or other fluid simulation software, you will be able to get yourself up and running with FLIP Fluids in no time!
The core fluid engine, written in C++, is designed for running high performance computations and massive physics calculations efficiently. Multithreaded and extensively optimized, this simulator is built for speed.
Create awesome large scale fluid effects with the whitewater simulator. Generate and simulate millions of foam, bubble, and spray particles to give a sense of realism to large bodies of water.
Use the highly accurate viscosity solver to simulate thin silky-smooth liquids, thick fluids that buckle and coil, and anything in between.
|Built-in Mesh Generation|
The built-in mesher generates highly detailed meshes so that your fluid surface is render-ready immediately after simulation. This mesh generator is memory efficient and able to produce meshes containing millions of triangles without requiring massive amounts of RAM.
|Fracture Modifier Support|
Create interesting destruction simulations by using the FLIP Fluids addon with the Blender Fracture Modifier branch. The fluid engine is optimized to support fractured objects that may contain hundreds to thousands of individual pieces.
|Excellent User Experience|
The addon interface was designed with a focus on functionality and usability to create a comfortable workflow. View simulation progress, meshes, and statistics in real-time. Pause and resume simulation baking- even after a Blender crash. Create and manage your own preset settings. Quickly apply materials from the fluid material library.
|Stable, Reliable, and Built for You|
We ran a closed beta testing phase involving over 250 testers to ensure that this complex simulation system is reliable, intuitive, and ready for you to use in your projects. We gathered your feedback and added your suggestions. This addon is built for you!
- Pause a simulation and resume baking at your convenience. Any simulation can be continued from the last baked frame even after a crash or computer shutdown.
- Set length of animation manually or automatically by framerate.
- Nearly all simulation settings can be keyframe animated.
- Hover over any setting to view a tooltip description. Detailed settings documentation and tips are also available on the Wiki.
- Want to keep the same level of simulation detail while resizing the domain? Lock the simulation voxel size and the addon will automatically adjust grid resolution as you resize the domain.
- Manage your scene cache directory. Operators will help you rename, move, copy, or delete your cache files.
- Advanced settings for power users who want to experiment with simulation accuracy and performance.
- Whitewater Simulation
- Control the amount of whitewater generated at wavecrests and in areas of high turbulence.
- Control how foam is carried along the fluid surface: In tight streaks, or diffuse and spread-out?
- Control how bubbles rise to the surface and how bubbles are advected with the fluid.
- Control amount of drag on spray particles as they fall to the fluid surface.
- Set percentages of foam/bubble/spray particles for display and rendering.
- Render whitewater particles with a simple icosphere or use your own custom object.
- Mesh Generator
- Adjust particle size for the particle-to-mesh surface generator.
- Create high detail meshes by increasing the subdivision level.
- Generate meshes that wrap smoothly around curved surfaces.
- Presets and Materials
- Save your own custom default domain settings.
- Create and manage domain presets.
- Organize presets into packages and add custom thumbnail images.
- Export and share preset packages.
- Apply multiple presets at once using the preset stack.
- Quickly apply materials from the fluid material library.
- Simulation Stats
- View simulation, timing, and mesh stats for the entire cache or an individual frame.
- Export stats to CSV format and create your own detailed graphs.
- Debugging Tools
- Visualize the simulation and meshing grid.
- Visualize fluid particles and velocities.
- Visualize how the simulator 'sees' your obstacle objects to diagnose issues with meshes.
- View detailed simulation progress in the Blender system console.
- Obstacle Objects
- Support for animated obstacle objects.
- Turn obstacle meshes 'inside-out' to contain fluid inside of the mesh.
- Accurate fluid-solid interaction against curved surfaces.
- Control amount of fluid friction against the obstacle surface.
- Fluid and Inflow Objects
- Support for animated inflow objects.
- Manually set inflow velocity, or set velocity towards a target object.
- Add inflow object velocity to the emitted fluid for realistic animated inflows.
- Outflow Objects
- Support for animated outflow objects.
- Control whether outflow objects remove fluid particles or whitewater particles.
- Control whether outflows will remove fluid entering the object or leaving the object.
- Windows, MacOS, or Linux operating system
- Blender 2.79 (64-bit) or Blender 2.80 (64-bit)
- CPU 64-bit Intel® or AMD® multi-core processor
- 8 GB RAM minimum, 16 GB or more of RAM memory is highly recommended
Blender 2.80 Support
At this moment, Blender 2.80 is is beta and our support for Blender 2.80 is experimental. Blender 2.80 is continuously changing and it is possible that a change in Blender 2.80 could break the addon in a daily build and we cannot guarantee that the addon will work in every daily build. A stable release of Blender 2.80 is planned for July 2019. See this topic for known issues.
FLIP Fluids Demo
Want to test the FLIP Fluids simulator before you buy? Try the free demo version and create, run, and render your own simulations with a few small limitations! Find out more about the FLIP Fluids Demo here.
What You Get
- The FLIP Fluids addon installation file
- Example scenes, and 'lite' versions of the scenes with textures removed
- Access to all future updates and new features
- Tool support
- Full addon and engine source code
What the Artists Say
Grant Wilk, Host of Remington Graphics and CGC Weekly
|"The FLIP Fluids Blender add-on allows both artists and simulation enthusiasts to do so much more than they could ever imagine within Blender. The work and care put into this add-on is incredible, and has allowed me to expand my knowledge and abilities on multiple levels. A must have for any avid Blender user."|
Lawrence Jaeger, 3D & Motion Design Artist
|"Having this kind of power inside of Blender is a complete game changer. To be able to stay within the program that I am so comfortable in and create these kind of FX is amazing. If you are wanting to add liquid simulations to your skill set, this addon is a must have!"|
Joel Howe, Technical Animator
|"A very promising fluid simulation plugin for Blender with a top-notch feature set, including whitewater bubbles and foam. I worked with the beta to get some great visual results from Blender and was very happy with the stable simulation bakes at a range of solver resolutions. Looking forward to integrating FLIP Fluids into my animation production workflow!"|
The next stable version 1.0.6 is in development. For access to the latest features and improvements, try out the experimental releases!
This section only details the latest stable release. Follow this link for complete and more detailed release notes: Stable Release Notes.
- version 1.0.5 (04 Jun 2019)
- Added support for Blender 2.80 (Experimental until official release. See known issues.)
- Added a surface tension solver
- Added sheeting effects feature
- Added meshing options to remove parts of surface mesh near the domain boundary
- Added meshing options to set offset for fluid-solid mesh interface
- Added meshing feature to set a custom object as a meshing volume. Only fluid inside of this object will be meshed.
- Added option to skip re-exporting animated meshes
- Added settings and option to set a custom baking frame range instead of using the timeline start/end values
- Added a savestates feature which gives the ability to rollback a simulation and resimulate from an earlier frame
- Added a 'Beginner Friendly Mode' to preferences that limits UI to only show the most basic and commonly used parameters
- Added a Basic/Advanced settings mode for Whitewater panel
- Added feature to control amount of whitewater generated by Obstacle objects
- Fixed bug where using world scaling would cause incorrect distribution of generated whitewater particles
- Fixed 'ResourceWarning' error when disabling and re-enabled addon
- Fixed bug that would cause bumpy mesh artifacts on edges of domain
- Fixed bug where bake would continue to run after closing Blender
- Fixed bug where Blender could crash while rendering in Cycles with the viewport open
- Fixed bug where copper preset could be loaded as coffee preset
- Fixed 'Value must be greater or equal to zero' error that could be triggered if domain bounding box is too thin
- Fixed bug where deleted objects could be exported to the simulator
- Fixed bug where particles could escape the domain and trigger an 'Out of Range' error
- Fixed precision error what could cause fluid meshes to be scaled incorrectly
- Fixed bug where the 'Reload Frame' operator could ignore reloading a frame
- Fixed bug where the intersection between inversed obstacles would be computed as solid instead of empty
- Fixed issue where Blender could crash during animated mesh export
- Fixed Linux/MacOS bug where a simulation could stop in the middle of baking. Huge thanks to Christian Schwarz for helping us solve this issue!
- Setting inflow 'Substep Emissions' to 0 will cause the inflow only emit fluid on the first substep of a frame
- Misc material and preset library fixes
- Improved collisions with thin obstacles
- Improved forward/backward compatibility of .blend files between addon versions
- Performance improvements
- Simulation stability improvements
- Mesh generation improvements
Experimental releases will give you access to the latest updates and features, but these builds may contain bugs and lack documentation. Please let us know what you think of the experimental builds or notice any problems, we love to hear your feedback!
This section only details the latest experimental release. Follow this link for complete and more detailed release notes: Experimental Release Notes.
- version 18.104.22.168 (Jun 05 2019)
- This is the initial version of the 9.0.6 experimental branch. This branch will eventually be merged into the next stable 1.0.6 version.
- Added operators to toolbox menu to automatically launch command line baking and rendering processes (Feature only supported on Windows)
- GitHub Project Page
- Documentation and Wiki
- Bug/Issue Tracker
- Blender Physics Page
- Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram for the latest news and promotions for the FLIP Fluids addon!