Quick Breakdown (Ctrl-E)
Show and Hide breakdown guides on the fly
Pie Menu (Alt-E)
Multiple options for displaying breakdown guides
to suit your needs
Create a collection of objects (Local or linked)
Within your armature's data tab, select your collection
PRO TIP: Create a collection within your overall character collection, and link only the import objects of your character into the new inner collection. This new collection is now neatly wrapped up within your character's collection and can be used by breakdowner!
Breakdowner is a blender 'Onion Skinning' addon that was specifically designed with animators in mind.
Animating is already difficult, especially when you add the mental burden of trying to remember what your key poses look like on multiple different frames. Let this addon show you the information you need while you concentrate on whats important.
Breakdowner strives to produce clear and understandable information about key-frames that you have set. It will never generate guides on interpolated frames in between your key-frames. This keeps your view-port clean and clutter free, which allows you to focus on your breakdown pose.
Breakdowner follows the rules of blender's built in operator (Pose Breakdown), all the way to its C++ source, for generating breakdown guides.
When performing a breakdown, this addon will only show you the most previous and future frame. This differs from other onion skinning tools, which usually generate many snapshots of your character all throughout the timeline, or on interpolated frames, etc. This can quickly become visually messy and in some circumstances, even deter the animator from understanding their own animation.
Breakdowner does not attempt to replace other onion skinning addons, but rather, work along side them. Onion skinning in general is a fantastic way to visualize the overall motion of an animation, but as I mentioned before, it can easily just become 'visual noise'. Breakdowner takes a different approach on this subject by working in a more 'localized' way.
YOU'RE THE ANIMATOR, IT'S TIME TO UNLEASH YOUR TALENT!
- Library linked objects world matrices were improperly calculated. This would result in object's appearing at the world origin.
- Grease Pencil objects are no longer supported.
- Visual guides can now be displayed properly in Solid Mode.
- Collection names could exceed the character limit of 64 characters and become cleaved. This would result in Breakdowner not being able to reference collections it has generated.
- Some minor details were changed which will prevent Breakdowner from being able to detect anything generated from previously installed versions.
Before installing version 1.22.0, make sure to either hide any visual guides which may be displayed, or uninstall Breakdowner before installing version 1.22.0.
Alternatively, you can simply delete the entire Breakdowner collection (`breakdowner_global_snapshots`) by right clicking the collection and selecting `Delete Hierarchy`.
- Linked collections (Proxy and Override) were not displaying breakdown guides in 2.82 and 2.90
- Grease Pencil Support.
- Multi Object Support (Mesh, Curve, Font, and Meta objects).
- Keybind for invoking a 'quick breakdown' would get shadowed on loading a new blender instance.
- Invoking Breakdowner from blender's search menu by pressing 'ENTER' would show and then immediately hide breakdown guides.
- Only objects one level deep within a collection were being utilized for generating breakdown guides, regardless of nested collections/objects.